That means that more than one out of three adults is not working.
And many people are:
- underemployed, working part-time
- underpaid for their education and/or experience
- working in a lower paid occupation, not in keeping with what their education or experience warrants.
- not counted as being unemployed because they've given up looking for work.
In Peoria it was listed that the unemployment rate for September 2015 was 5.7% vs. 7% for September 2014.
It also stated that there were 2,600 less people employed since September of 2014. That means that many have either given up or moved away.
With the recent news of Caterpillar cutting thousands of jobs and Mitsubishi closing in Bloomington there well be less people employed locally. Obviously, there will be less disposable income or money for restaurants, movies, entertainment, etc.
Some people will skip going to the dentist to save money.
Our office tries to help our patients in our practice that have lost their jobs.
(1) Patients can ask our hygienists if it is possible for them to have their teeth cleaned every nine months instead of the usual six month interval.
(2) Sometimes, we can patch a broken tooth with a large filling, instead of restoring the tooth with a full crown. The tooth can be preserved and hopefully in the future the economy will improve and the patient saves the tooth.
(3) For some families our office has done dentistry at reduced usual and customary fees and sometimes we have done dentistry for family members at no charge. We can usually work a plan to help our patients keep their teeth and have good oral health.
(4) We also have local service agencies that can help especially for children and emergency dental care. I have volunteered my time at various agencies in Peoria and continue to assist the needy.
(5) You may qualify for monthly payments via our CareCredit program.
Most people want to keep a healthy smile and people who have a good looking smile feel better and look better.
They also will be more apt to be hired versus someone who shows missing teeth when smiling or talking.
Your oral health is important to us.
Eventually, the economy will improve and people’s income and lives will improve.
I look forward to helping you keep a good healthy smile, regardless of your current financial situation.