Making teeth gleam with a bright whiteness is a popular trend, especially in California, where some take it to an extreme. But everyone wants their teeth to look as good as possible.
In most cases, whiter teeth can be achieved without looking unnatural and without harming the enamel.
There are many different kinds of tooth whitening treatments available, including some do-it-yourself kits. You should know some basic information about whitening products before rushing into a specific approach.
Teeth Whitening Facts:
- Whitening can give you a more happy and healthy appearance.
- American Dental Association recommends consulting your dentist before starting any teeth whitening method, at home or in the dentist office.
- Technically, "whitening" means restoring teeth to their original color, while "bleaching" refers to whitening teeth beyond their natural color
- Our teeth tend to get yellow, darker, and stained as we grow older, so whiter teeth can make us look younger.
- Tooth decay and gum problems must be solved before any whitening treatment can begin.
- Dentist applied teeth whitening treatment can be safer and more effective than home treatment kits. Your dentist should use a comfortably fitting mouth tray and a professional whitening gel that contains a special buffer to protect tooth enamel.
- Your teeth can increase in whiteness by 10 shades in just one treatment.
- A whitening program can include home treatments to maintain the purest and brightest white possible and prolong the effectiveness of the whitening.
- How long a whitening treatment lasts depends upon factors like personal dental hygiene, avoidance of staining beverages and foods, avoidance of smoking, and age of patient.